Get creative in the kitchen with celebrity chef Nigel Brown. Each week the Yorkshireman will bring you a new and exclusive recipe to tempt your taste buds.
Classic Cherries Jubilee
Simmered with orange zest and flambeed with brandy the Classic Cherries Jubilee is a fabulously refreshing dessert especially after a hearty meal. It's also the perfect patriotic pudding for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend.
- 50g castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornfour
- 100ml water
- 100ml orange juice
- 500g dark, sweet cherries, rinsed and pitted (or use frozen pitted cherries)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cherry extract
- 50ml brandy
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Whisk together the sugar and cornfour in a wide saucepan.
2. Stir in the water and orange juice; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking until thickened.
3. Stir in the cherries and orange zest, return to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. While the cherries are cooking, spoon the ice cream into serving bowls.
4. Remove the cherries from the heat, and stir in the cherry extract. Pour in the brandy, and ignite with a long lighter.
5. Gently shake the pan until the blue flame has extinguished itself.
To serve: Spoon the cherries over the bowls of ice cream
Nigel holds exclusive classes in his own cookery school kitchen. For more information log on to www.nigelbrownchef.co.uk
Daily tip from the lady archive
“PEOPLE cannot help being influenced by their surroundings and their environment; therefore how all important it is that both of these should be healthy and cheery, for health and happiness both go hand-in-hand.”The Lady. The Blessing of Old Health, 18th November 1920