Get creative in the kitchen with celebrity chef Nigel Brown. Each week the Yorkshireman will bring you a new and exclusive recipe to tempt your taste buds.
Sticky Pork Spare Ribs
Say hello to the long weekend with a recipe that screams to be shared...
3 racks of pork spare ribs
For the glaze
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Tabasco
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 tbsp maple syrup
- 7 tbsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
1. Mix all the glaze ingredients together. If you have time, pour two-thirds of the liquid over the ribs, rubbing it in well, and leave them to marinate overnight. If not, preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Line two or three big roasting tins with foil and paint the ribs on both sides with the glaze, keeping back about a third to add during cooking.
3. Arrange the racks meat-side up in the tins, making sure they don’t touch. Roast for 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 140C/Gas 1 and cook the ribs for another 1 ½ hours, basting with glaze from time to time.
4. Add the last bit of glaze 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Cut into individual ribs and serve.Nigel holds exclusive classes in his own cookery school kitchen. For more information log on to www.nigelbrownchef.co.uk
Daily tip from the lady archive
“THERE is great satisfaction to be had in properly ironed garments that look as if they have just come out of the shop window.”The Lady. You Can’t Iron? 19th February, 1953