Get creative in the kitchen with celebrity chef Nigel Brown. Each week the Yorkshireman will bring you a new and exclusive recipe to tempt your taste buds.
With the joy of the Jubilee fading fast, it's time to prepare yourself for another slice of classic Britishness - Wimbledon.
And nothing is more evocative of Wimbledon than strawberries. Showcase them in in this irresistible summer dessert.
- 250g fresh strawberries
- 3 medium eggs, whites only
- 1 pinch salt
- 180g sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300ml whipping cream
- 70g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and draw a 20 cm circle on the parchment.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 120 g sugar while continuing to whip and mix well until sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Mix the remaining sugar together with the cornstarch. Fold into the egg whites mixture and also add lemon juice.
4. Spread a layer of meringue onto the circle on parchment paper and spoon swirls around the edges to form a bowl shape.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven, but leave meringue in oven for an additional 30 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, combine the cream and confectioners sugar, and whip until thickened. Decorate with strawberries.
Nigel holds exclusive classes in his own cookery school kitchen. For more information log on to www.nigelbrownchef.co.uk
Daily tip from the lady archive
“A GRACEFUL walk is a great asset, for sometimes it can create an illusion of beauty where little exists.”The Lady. Pleasant Exercises for Grace. 2nd April 1931