The average woman owns 34 pairs of shoes
... And spends £10,000 over her lifetime on footwear
Women really are head over heels about shoes - new figures show they own, on average, 34 pairs of shoes and boots and spend £10,000 in a lifetime on their footwear.
The number is double the amount reported just two years ago, something which experts are putting down to the “Primark effect” (where we can now buy more shoes for less – dramatically increasing the number we’re cramming at the bottom of the wardrobe, under beds and in spare room cupboards).
Men aren’t far behind, owning an average of 14 pairs at any one time.
Fitted bedroom retailer Betta Living (www.bettaliving.co.uk) carried out the shoe report to support the launch of its new shoe storage system.
- More than 50% of females buy a pair of shoes, sandals, flip flop or boots once a month.
- 53% of women admitted to hiding shoe purchases from partners/parents, with a third saying they have hidden shopping bags in their cars until their other halves have left the house before smuggling them inside and another third opting to hide them in the wardrobe.
- 69% of women regularly wear flats
- The average shoe spend for the year was just over £200.
- The average female’s shoe collection includes stilettos, work shoes (with a lower heel), wedges or espadrilles, knee length boots, shoe boots, flat boots, flip flops, sandals, pumps and trainers.
- The stiletto was named the sexiest shoe with 71% of women saying it makes them feel instantly more attractive and 82% of men stating they find it to be the most appealing shoe on a woman.
- The majority of men say they find pumps the most unattractive footwear a woman can wear, ahead of trainers. 6
- In order of popularity, people store shoes in wardrobes, in cloakrooms, under beds, under the stairs, in chests of drawers, in cubby-holes and even in lofts and garages
Barry Rourke from Betta Living who carried out the research explains: “It’s a well known fact that women have a great love of shoes and handbags, but we were surprised by the sheer volume of shoes that women have in their wardrobes and how much they spend on their collections."
Daily tip from the lady archive
"What makes leisure and holidays delightful is just the fact that they come rarely. If you can have them whenever you like they lose their nature.”The Lady. The Joy of Work. 14th May 1914
Attractive salary and benefits.
Furnished accommodation provided.
Must have excellent references.
Single or couple with partner who could assist with household and garden work.
Drivers licence required.
Must be good with pets.
Contact: Apply Box 15573